Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to mattress: IKEA
a. A usually rectangular pad of heavy cloth filled with soft material or an arrangement of coiled springs, used as or on a bed.
b. An airtight inflatable pad used as or on a bed or as a cushion.
2. A closely woven mat of brush and poles used to protect an embankment, a dike, or a dam from erosion.
1. (Furniture) a large flat pad with a strong cover, filled with straw, foam rubber, etc, and often incorporating coiled springs, used as a bed or as part of a bed
2. (Civil Engineering) Also called: Dutch mattress a woven mat of brushwood, poles, etc, used to protect an embankment, dyke, etc, from scour
3. (Building) a concrete or steel raft or slab used as a foundation or footing. Sometimes shortened to: mat
4. (Building) a network of reinforcing rods or expanded metal sheeting, used in reinforced concrete
5. (Civil Engineering) civil engineering another name for blinding3
[C13: via Old French from Italian materasso, from Arabic almatrah place where something is thrown]
1. a large pad used as or on a bed and consisting of a cloth case filled with straw, cotton, foam rubber, or similar supporting material.
3. a mat woven of brush, poles, or similar material, used to prevent erosion of dikes, jetties, etc.
4. a layer of any material used to cushion or protect.
[1250–1300; Middle English materas < Old French < Italian materasso < Arabic maṭraḥ mat, cushion]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mattress - a large thick pad filled with resilient material and often incorporating coiled springs, used as a bed or part of a bed|
air mattress - a mattress that can be stored flat and inflated for use
bed - a piece of furniture that provides a place to sleep; "he sat on the edge of the bed"; "the room had only a bed and chair"
futon - mattress consisting of a pad of cotton batting that is used for sleeping on the floor or on a raised frame
pad - a flat mass of soft material used for protection, stuffing, or comfort
pallet - a mattress filled with straw or a pad made of quilts; used as a bed
spring mattress - a mattress containing springs in a rigid frame
tick - a light mattress
mattress[ˈmætrɪs] N → colchón m
mattress[ˈmætrəs] n → matelas m
n → Matratze f
mattress[ˈmætrɪs] n → materasso
a thick, firm layer of padding, covered in cloth etc, for lying on, usually as part of a bed. matras فِراش дюшек colchão matrace die Matratze madras στρώμαcolchón madrats تشک patja matelasמזרן गद्दा strunjača, madrac matrac matras, kasur dÿna materasso マットレス 매트리스 matracas matracis tilam matrasmadrassmaterac نالى،دوشكه colchão saltea матрас matrac žimnica madrac madrass ที่นอน şilte, döşek 床墊 матрац گدّا nệm 床垫
mattress→ حَشِيَةٌ matrace madras Matratze στρώμα colchón patja matelas madrac materasso マットレス 매트리스 matras madrass materac colchão матрац madrass ที่นอน yatak đệm 床垫