Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to mattress: IKEA
a. A usually rectangular pad of heavy cloth filled with soft material or an arrangement of coiled springs, used as or on a bed.
b. An airtight inflatable pad used as or on a bed or as a cushion.
2. A closely woven mat of brush and poles used to protect an embankment, a dike, or a dam from erosion.
[Middle English materas, mattresse, from Old French materas, from Old Italian materasso and from Medieval Latin matracium, both from Arabic maṭraḥ, place where something is thrown, mat, cushion, from ṭaraḥa, to throw; see ṭrḥ in Semitic roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Furniture) a large flat pad with a strong cover, filled with straw, foam rubber, etc, and often incorporating coiled springs, used as a bed or as part of a bed
2. (Civil Engineering) Also called: Dutch mattress a woven mat of brushwood, poles, etc, used to protect an embankment, dyke, etc, from scour
3. (Building) a concrete or steel raft or slab used as a foundation or footing. Sometimes shortened to: mat
4. (Building) a network of reinforcing rods or expanded metal sheeting, used in reinforced concrete
5. (Civil Engineering) civil engineering another name for blinding3
[C13: via Old French from Italian materasso, from Arabic almatrah place where something is thrown]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a large pad used as or on a bed and consisting of a cloth case filled with straw, cotton, foam rubber, or similar supporting material.
3. a mat woven of brush, poles, or similar material, used to prevent erosion of dikes, jetties, etc.
4. a layer of any material used to cushion or protect.
[1250–1300; Middle English materas < Old French < Italian materasso < Arabic maṭraḥ mat, cushion]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mattress - a large thick pad filled with resilient material and often incorporating coiled springs, used as a bed or part of a bed|
air mattress - a mattress that can be stored flat and inflated for use
bed - a piece of furniture that provides a place to sleep; "he sat on the edge of the bed"; "the room had only a bed and chair"
futon - mattress consisting of a pad of cotton batting that is used for sleeping on the floor or on a raised frame
pad - a flat mass of soft material used for protection, stuffing, or comfort
pallet - a mattress filled with straw or a pad made of quilts; used as a bed
spring mattress - a mattress containing springs in a rigid frame
tick - a light mattress
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
mattress[ˈmætrɪs] N → colchón m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
mattress[ˈmætrəs] n → matelas m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Matratze f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
mattress[ˈmætrɪs] n → materasso
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a thick, firm layer of padding, covered in cloth etc, for lying on, usually as part of a bed. matras فِراش дюшек colchão matrace die Matratze madras στρώμαcolchón madrats تشک patja matelasמזרן गद्दा strunjača, madrac matrac matras, kasur dÿna materasso マットレス 매트리스 matracas matracis tilam matrasmadrassmaterac نالى،دوشكه colchão saltea матрас matrac žimnica madrac madrass ที่นอน şilte, döşek 床墊 матрац گدّا nệm 床垫
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
mattress→ حَشِيَةٌ matrace madras Matratze στρώμα colchón patja matelas madrac materasso マットレス 매트리스 matras madrass materac colchão матрац madrass ที่นอน yatak đệm 床垫
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
mattressn colchón m
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.