Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. max·il·lae (măk-sĭl′ē) or max·il·las
1. Anatomy Either of a pair of bones of the human skull fusing in the midline and forming the upper jaw.
2. A homologous bone of the skull in other vertebrates.
3. Either of two laterally moving appendages situated behind the mandibles in insects and most other arthropods.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -lae (-liː)
1. (Zoology) the upper jawbone in vertebrates. See jaw1
2. (Zoology) any member of one or two pairs of mouthparts in insects and other arthropods used as accessory jaws
[C17: New Latin, from Latin: jaw]
maxillar, maxˈillary adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. max•il•lae (mækˈsɪl i)
1. an upper jaw or jawbone.
2. one of the paired appendages immediately behind the mandibles of arthropods.
[1670–80; < New Latin; Latin maxilla lower jaw, diminutive of māla (<*maxlā) upper jaw, cheekbone]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The upper part of the jaw in vertebrate animals.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||maxilla - the jaw in vertebrates that is fused to the cranium|
hard palate - the bony part of the roof of the mouth
intermaxillary suture, sutura intermaxillaris - the suture between the two maxillae of the upper jawbone
jaw - the part of the skull of a vertebrate that frames the mouth and holds the teeth
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
maxillan (pl -lae) maxilar m superior
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.