measured(redirected from measuredness)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
Related to measuredness: measurement
1. Determined by measurement: The measured distance was less than a mile.
2. Careful; restrained: spoke in measured words.
3. Calculated; deliberate: with measured irony.
4. Regular in rhythm and number: "A clock struck slowly in the house with a measured, solemn chime" (Thomas Wolfe).
5. Slow and stately.
6. Written in meter.
7. Music Mensural.
1. determined by measurement
2. slow, stately, or leisurely
3. carefully considered; deliberate
1. ascertained or apportioned by measure.
2. accurately regulated or proportioned.
3. regular or uniform, as in movement; rhythmical.
4. deliberate and restrained: measured terms.
- Apgar score - A measure of a baby's well-being taking into consideration respiratory effort, skin color, heart rate, muscle tone, and sense of smell (named for American anesthesiologist Virginia Apgar).
- datum line - The horizontal or base line, from which the heights of points are reckoned or measured, as in the plan of a railway, etc.
- scantling - Means "measured or prescribed size" or a "set of standard dimensions."
- military time - Time measured on a 24-hour scale of 0100-2400 hours.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||measured - having notes of fixed rhythmic value|
music - an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner
|2.||measured - the rhythmic arrangement of syllables|
|3.||measured - carefully thought out in advance; "a calculated insult"; "with measured irony"|
intended - resulting from one's intentions; "your intended trip abroad"; "an intended insult"
|4.||measured - unhurried and with care and dignity; "walking at the same measured pace"; "with all deliberate speed"|
unhurried - relaxed and leisurely; without hurry or haste; "people strolling about in an unhurried way"; "an unhurried walk"; "spoke in a calm and unhurried voice"
1. steady, even, slow, regular, dignified, stately, solemn, leisurely, sedate, unhurried They have to proceed at a measured pace.
2. considered, planned, reasoned, studied, calculated, deliberate, sober, premeditated, well-thought-out Her more measured approach will appeal to voters.
measured[ˈmɛʒərd] adj [tone, response] → mesuré(e)
adj tread → gemessen (liter); tone → bedacht, bedächtig; words → wohlüberlegt, durchdacht; approach, response → maßvoll; he walked with measured steps → er ging gemessenen Schrittes (liter); at a measured pace → in gemäßigtem Tempo; he is becoming calmer and more measured → er wird ruhiger und bedächtiger