Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to machines or tools: mechanical skill.
2. Operated or produced by a mechanism or machine: a mechanical toy dog.
3. Of, relating to, or governed by mechanics.
4. Performed or performing in an impersonal or machinelike manner; automatic: a droning, mechanical delivery of the speech.
5. Relating to, produced by, or dominated by physical forces: the mechanical aspect of trumpet playing.
6. Philosophy Interpreting and explaining the phenomena of the universe by referring to causally determined material forces; mechanistic.
7. Of or relating to manual labor, its tools, and its skills.
A layout consisting of type proofs, artwork, or both, exactly positioned and prepared for making an offset or other printing plate.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.