Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
1. Mechanically determined.
2. Philosophy Of or relating to the philosophy of mechanism, especially tending to explain phenomena only by reference to physical or biological causes.
3. Automatic and impersonal; mechanical.
1. (Philosophy) philosophy of or relating to the theory of mechanism
2. (Mathematics) maths of or relating to mechanics
mech•a•nis•tic(ˌmɛk əˈnɪs tɪk)
1. of or pertaining to the theory of mechanism or to mechanists.
2. of or pertaining to mechanics.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||mechanistic - explained in terms of physical forces; "a mechanistic universe"|
mechanical - using (or as if using) mechanisms or tools or devices; "a mechanical process"; "his smile was very mechanical"; "a mechanical toy"
|2.||mechanistic - of or relating to the philosophical theory of mechanism|