Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to medical examiner: Forensic pathologist
1. A physician, usually a pathologist, who is officially authorized to determine the cause of suspicious or unusual deaths.
2. A physician who performs physical examinations to determine whether people are healthy enough to perform certain roles, such as military service, or whether people qualify for life insurance or disability compensation.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) chiefly US a medical expert, usually a physician, employed by a state or local government to determine the cause of sudden death in cases of suspected violence, suicide, etc. Compare coroner
2. (Medicine) a physician who carries out medical examinations
1. a government official who performs autopsies of bodies to determine the cause of death.
2. a physician retained by an insurance company, industrial firm, or the like, to give medical examinations to its clients or employees.