Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A fine, compact, usually white claylike mineral of hydrous magnesium silicate, H4Mg2Si3O10, found in the Mediterranean area and used in fashioning tobacco pipes and as a building stone. Also called sepiolite.
2. A tobacco pipe with a bowl made of this mineral.
[German : Meer, sea (from Middle High German mer, from Old High German mari; see mori- in Indo-European roots) + Schaum, foam (from Middle High German schūm, from Old High German scūm; see (s)keu- in Indo-European roots).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Minerals) Also called: sepiolite a white, yellowish, or pink compact earthy mineral consisting of hydrated magnesium silicate: used to make tobacco pipes and as a building stone. Formula: Mg2Si3O6(OH)4
2. (Recreational Drugs) a tobacco pipe having a bowl made of this mineral
[C18: German, literally: sea foam]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
meer•schaum(ˈmɪər ʃəm, -ʃɔm)
1. a mineral, hydrous magnesium silicate, H4Mg2Si3O10, occurring in white, claylike masses, used esp. for pipe bowls; sepiolite.
2. a tobacco pipe with a bowl made of meerschaum.
[1775–85; < German Meerschaum, literally, sea foam]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||meerschaum - a white clayey mineral|
meerschaum - a pipe having a bowl made of meerschaum
mineral - solid homogeneous inorganic substances occurring in nature having a definite chemical composition
|2.||meerschaum - a pipe having a bowl made of meerschaum|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007