Also found in: Medical, Wikipedia.
1. The application of henna paste in intricate designs to decorate the body, often for wedding celebrations and other festive occasions in South Asia, the Middle East, and North Africa.
2. Decoration on the body made by mehndi.
[Hindi meṃhdī and Urdu menhdī, henna; akin to late Sanskrit mendhī, mendhīkā, of unknown origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Art Terms) (esp in India) the practice of painting designs on the hands, feet, etc using henna
2. (Hairdressing & Grooming) (esp in India) the practice of painting designs on the hands, feet, etc using henna
[C20: from Hindi]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the art or practice of painting elaborate patterns on the skin with henna.
2. a design or designs so made.
[1995–2000; < Hindi < Skt mendī the henna plant]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.