melting(redirected from meltings)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
v. melt·ed, melt·ing, melts
1. To be changed from a solid to a liquid state especially by the application of heat.
2. To dissolve: Sugar melts in water.
3. To disappear or vanish gradually as if by dissolving: The crowd melted away after the rally.
4. To pass or merge imperceptibly into something else: Sea melted into sky along the horizon.
5. To become softened in feeling: Our hearts melted at the child's tears.
6. Obsolete To be overcome or crushed, as by grief, dismay, or fear.
1. To change (a solid) to a liquid state especially by the application of heat.
2. To dissolve: The tide melted our sand castle away.
3. To cause to disappear gradually; disperse.
4. To cause (units) to blend: "Here individuals of all races are melted into a new race of men" (Michel Guillaume Jean de Crèvecoeur).
5. To soften (someone's feelings); make gentle or tender.
1. A melted solid; a fused mass.
2. The state of being melted.
a. The act or operation of melting.
b. The quantity melted at a single operation or in one period.
4. A usually open sandwich topped with melted cheese: a tuna melt.
1. To undergo a meltdown. Used of a nuclear reactor.
2. To undergo a failure or collapse.
3. To become very angry or upset.
1. (of ice, ice cream, etc) in the process of becoming liquid
2. capable of making others feel tender and emotional
- fondue - Comes from French fondre, "to melt."
- relent, resolve - Relent and resolve originally meant "melt, dissolve" in literal (under the influence of heat) and figurative senses.
- eliquate - To melt or liquefy.
- clarify - To make clear by removing impurities or solid matter, as by heating gently; to purify butter by melting.
The change of state from solid to liquid. It occurs when the particles in the solid lattice have gained sufficient energy to break the bonds which hold them in the lattice.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||melting - the process whereby heat changes something from a solid to a liquid; "the power failure caused a refrigerator melt that was a disaster"; "the thawing of a frozen turkey takes several hours"|
|Adj.||1.||melting - becoming liquid|
unfrozen - not frozen; "unfrozen ground"