Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An account of the personal experiences of an author.
2. often memoirs An autobiography.
3. A biography or biographical sketch.
4. A report, especially on a scientific or scholarly topic.
5. memoirs The report of the proceedings of a learned society.
[French mémoire, from Old French memoire, memory, from Latin memoria; see memory.]
1. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a biography or historical account, esp one based on personal knowledge
2. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) an essay or monograph, as on a specialized topic
3. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) obsolete a memorandum
[C16: from French, from Latin memoria memory]
mem•oir(ˈmɛm wɑr, -wɔr)
1. a record of events based on the writer's personal observation.
2. Usu., memoirs.
a. an autobiography.
b. the published proceedings of an organization, as of a learned society.
3. a biography.
[1560–70; < French mémoire < Latin memoria]
A biography or historical account based on personal knowledge; stylistically, memoirs usually indicate fragments of autobiography rather than a complete retelling.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||memoir - an account of the author's personal experiences|
autobiography - a biography of yourself
|2.||memoir - an essay on a scientific or scholarly topic|
essay - an analytic or interpretive literary composition