mercurial(redirected from mercurialness)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. often Mercurial
a. Roman Mythology Of or relating to the god Mercury.
b. Astronomy Of or relating to the planet Mercury.
2. Having the characteristics of eloquence, shrewdness, swiftness, and thievishness attributed to the god Mercury.
3. Containing or caused by the action of the element mercury.
4. Quick and changeable in temperament; volatile: a mercurial nature.
A pharmacological or chemical preparation containing mercury.
[Middle English, of the planet Mercury, from Latin mercuriālis, of the god or planet Mercury, from Mercurius, Mercury.]
1. (Elements & Compounds) of, like, containing, or relating to mercury
2. volatile; lively: a mercurial temperament.
3. (Astronomy) (sometimes capital) of, like, or relating to the god or the planet Mercury
(Medicine) med any salt of mercury for use as a medicine
[C14: from Latin mercuriālis]
merˈcurialness, merˌcuriˈality n
mer•cu•ri•al(mərˈkyʊər i əl)
1. changeable; fickle; flighty; erratic: a mercurial nature.
2. animated; lively; sprightly.
3. pertaining to, containing, or caused by the metal mercury.
4. (cap.) of or pertaining to the god Mercury.
5. (cap.) of or pertaining to the planet Mercury.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||mercurial - liable to sudden unpredictable change; "erratic behavior"; "fickle weather"; "mercurial twists of temperament"; "a quicksilver character, cool and willful at one moment, utterly fragile the next"|
|2.||Mercurial - relating to or under the (astrological) influence of the planet Mercury; "the Mercurial canals"|
|3.||Mercurial - relating to or having characteristics (eloquence, shrewdness, swiftness, thievishness) attributed to the god Mercury; "more than Mercurial thievishness"|
|4.||mercurial - relating to or containing or caused by mercury; "mercurial preparations"; "mercurial sore mouth"|