Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A nonmetallic element, such as arsenic, that has some of the chemical properties of a metal. Most metalloids behave as semiconductors.
2. A nonmetallic element, such as carbon, that can form an alloy with metals.
adj. also met·al·loi·dal (mĕt′l-oid′l)
1. Relating to or having the properties of a metalloid.
2. Having the appearance of a metal.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Elements & Compounds) a nonmetallic element, such as arsenic or silicon, that has some of the properties of a metal
1. (Chemistry) of or being a metalloid
2. (Chemistry) resembling a metal
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a nonmetal that in combination with a metal forms an alloy.
2. an element with both metallic and nonmetallic properties, as silicon or boron.adj.
3. of or pertaining to a metalloid.
4. resembling both a metal and a nonmetal.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. An element that is not a metal but that has some properties of metals. Arsenic, for example, is a metalloid that looks like a metal, but is a poor conductor of electricity.
2. A nonmetallic element, such as carbon, that can form alloys with metals.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
An element which has both metallic and nonmetallic properties.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||metalloid - of or being a nonmetallic element that has some of the properties of metal; "arsenic is a metalloid element"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.