Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The science that deals with procedures used in extracting metals from their ores, purifying and alloying metals, and creating useful objects from metals.
2. The study of metals and their properties in bulk and at the atomic level.
[New Latin metallūrgia, from Greek metallourgos, miner, worker in metals : metallon, a mine, metal + -ourgos, -worker (from ergon, work; see werg- in Indo-European roots).]
met′al·lur′gic, met′al·lur′gi·cal adj.
metallurgy(mɛˈtælədʒɪ; US ˈmɛtəˌlɜːdʒɪ)
(Metallurgy) the scientific study of the extraction, refining, alloying, and fabrication of metals and of their structure and properties
ˌmetalˈlurgic, ˌmetalˈlurgical adj
met•al•lur•gy(ˈmɛt lˌɜr dʒi; esp. Brit. məˈtæl ər dʒi)
1. the technique or science of working or heating metals.
2. the technique or science of making and compounding alloys.
3. the technique or science of separating metals from their ores.
[1695–1705; < New Latin metallurgia < Greek metallourg(ós) working in metals, mining + New Latin -ia -ia. See metall-, -urgy]
met`al•lur′gic, met`al•lur′gi•cal, adj.
The science and technology of extracting metals from their ores, refining them for use, and creating alloys and useful objects from them.
the science of preparing metals for use by separating them from their ores and refining them, as by smelting. — metallurgist, n. — metallurgie, metallurgical, adj.See also: Metals
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||metallurgy - the science and technology of metals|
science, scientific discipline - a particular branch of scientific knowledge; "the science of genetics"
powder metallurgy - the metallurgy of powdered metals; how to produce solid metal objects from powdered metal by compaction and sintering
pole - deoxidize molten metals by stirring them with a wooden pole
alloy - make an alloy of
beneficiate - process (ores or other raw materials), as by reduction
rich - high in mineral content; having a high proportion of fuel to air; "a rich vein of copper", "a rich gas mixture"