Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to metamorphic: metamorphic facies
1. also met·a·mor·phous (-fəs) Of, relating to, or characterized by metamorphosis.
2. Geology Changed in structure or composition as a result of metamorphism. Used of rock.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. relating to or resulting from metamorphosis or metamorphism
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
met•a•mor•phic(ˌmɛt əˈmɔr fɪk)
1. pertaining to or characterized by metamorphosis.
2. pertaining to or exhibiting structural change or metamorphism: metamorphic rock.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Zoology Relating to metamorphosis.
2. Geology Relating to metamorphism. Metamorphic rocks are formed when igneous, sedimentary, or other metamorphic rocks undergo a physical change due to extreme heat and pressure. These changes often produce folded layers and veins in the rocks, and they can also cause pockets of precious minerals to form. See Table at rock.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||metamorphic - of or relating to metamorphosis (especially of rocks); "metamorphic stage"; "marble is a metamorphic rock that takes a high polish"|
|2.||metamorphic - characterized by metamorphosis or change in physical form or substance|
nonmetamorphic - not metamorphic
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
metamorphic[ˌmetəˈmɔːfɪk] ADJ → metamórfico
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
metamorphic[ˌmɛtəˈmɔːfɪk] adj → metamorfico/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995