metamorphic(redirected from metamorphicly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. also met·a·mor·phous (-fəs) Of, relating to, or characterized by metamorphosis.
2. Geology Changed in structure or composition as a result of metamorphism. Used of rock.
met•a•mor•phic(ˌmɛt əˈmɔr fɪk)
1. pertaining to or characterized by metamorphosis.
2. pertaining to or exhibiting structural change or metamorphism: metamorphic rock.
1. Zoology Relating to metamorphosis.
2. Geology Relating to metamorphism. Metamorphic rocks are formed when igneous, sedimentary, or other metamorphic rocks undergo a physical change due to extreme heat and pressure. These changes often produce folded layers and veins in the rocks, and they can also cause pockets of precious minerals to form. See Table at rock.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||metamorphic - of or relating to metamorphosis (especially of rocks); "metamorphic stage"; "marble is a metamorphic rock that takes a high polish"|
|2.||metamorphic - characterized by metamorphosis or change in physical form or substance|
nonmetamorphic - not metamorphic