Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to methylate: Sodium methylate
tr.v. meth·yl·at·ed, meth·yl·at·ing, meth·yl·ates
1. To introduce one or more methyl groups into (a molecule).
2. To mix or combine with methyl alcohol.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Chemistry) (tr) to mix with methanol
2. (Chemistry) to undergo or cause to undergo a chemical reaction in which a methyl group is introduced into a molecule
(Elements & Compounds) another name for methoxide
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -at•ed, -at•ing. n.
1. any derivative of methyl alcohol, as sodium methylate, CH3ONa.
2. any compound containing the methyl group.v.t.
3. (in a compound) to replace (one or more hydrogen atoms) with the methyl group.
4. to mix with methyl alcohol, as in the denaturation of ethyl alcohol.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: methylated
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011