Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
mez·zo·tint(mĕt′sō-tĭnt′, mĕd′zō-, mĕz′ō-)
1. A method of engraving a copper or steel plate by scraping and burnishing areas to produce effects of light and shadow.
2. A print made from a plate engraved by mezzotint.
[Alteration of Italian mezzatinta, halftone : mezza, feminine of mezzo, half (from Latin medius; see medium) + tinta, tint, from feminine past participle of tingere, to tint (from Latin, to dye).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a method of engraving a copper plate by scraping and burnishing the roughened surface
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a print made from a plate so treated
(Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) (tr) to engrave (a copper plate) in this fashion
[C18: from Italian mezzotinto half tint]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
mez•zo•tint(ˈmɛt soʊˌtɪnt, ˈmɛd zoʊ-, ˈmɛz oʊ-)
1. a method of engraving on copper or steel by burnishing or scraping away a uniformly roughened surface.
2. a print produced by this method.v.t.
3. to engrave in mezzotint.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: mezzotinted
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Engraving using tonal areas. A rocking tool creates a burred surface on the plate, which is smoothed away to leave the desired strength of image. Invented in the seventeenth century but rarely used since photographic ways of reproduction were invented.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
mezzotint[ˈmetsəʊtɪnt] N → grabado m mezzotinto
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Mezzotint nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007