Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to micelle: surfactant, Critical micelle concentration
1. A submicroscopic aggregation of molecules, as a droplet in a colloidal system.
2. An organic particle of colloidal size found in coal.
3. A coherent strand or structure in natural or synthetic fibers.
[New Latin mīcella, from Latin mīca, grain.]
mi·cel′lar (-sĕl′ər) adj.
a. a charged aggregate of molecules of colloidal size in a solution
b. any molecular aggregate of colloidal size, such as a particle found in coal
[C19: from New Latin micella, diminutive of Latin mīca crumb]
1. an electrically charged colloidal particle formed by an aggregate of molecules.
2. an organized structural unit composed of such particles.
[1880–85; < German Micell (1877) < Latin mīc(a) crumb, grain + -ella -elle]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||micelle - an electrically charged particle built up from polymeric molecules or ions and occurring in certain colloidal electrolytic solutions like soaps and detergents|