Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Botany A minute opening in the ovule of a seed plant through which the pollen tube usually enters.
2. Zoology A pore in the membrane covering the ovum of some animals through which a spermatozoon can enter.
[micro- + Greek pulē, gate.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Botany) a small opening in the integuments of a plant ovule through which the male gametes pass
2. (Zoology) a small pore in the shell of an insect's eggs through which the sperm passes
[C19: from micro- + Greek pulē gate]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the surface of the membrane through which sperm is transported to the ovum in fertilization.
2. the opening in a seed plant ovule through which the pollen tube reaches the embryo.
[1815–25; micro- + Greek pýlē gate]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||micropyle - minute opening in the wall of an ovule through which the pollen tube enters|
aperture - a natural opening in something
ovule - a small body that contains the female germ cell of a plant; develops into a seed after fertilization
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.