Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Botany A minute opening in the ovule of a seed plant through which the pollen tube usually enters.
2. Zoology A pore in the membrane covering the ovum of some animals through which a spermatozoon can enter.
[micro- + Greek pulē, gate.]
1. (Botany) a small opening in the integuments of a plant ovule through which the male gametes pass
2. (Zoology) a small pore in the shell of an insect's eggs through which the sperm passes
[C19: from micro- + Greek pulē gate]
1. the surface of the membrane through which sperm is transported to the ovum in fertilization.
2. the opening in a seed plant ovule through which the pollen tube reaches the embryo.
[1815–25; micro- + Greek pýlē gate]