middleweight(redirected from middleweights)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A weight division in professional boxing having an upper limit of 160 pounds (72 kilograms), between junior middleweight and super middleweight.
2. A boxer competing in this weight division.
3. A similar weight division in other sports, such as weightlifting.
4. A contestant in this weight division.
a. a professional boxer weighing 154–160 pounds (70–72.5 kg)
b. an amateur boxer weighing 71–75 kg (157–165 pounds)
c. (as modifier): a middleweight contest.
2. (Wrestling) a wrestler in a similar weight category (usually 172–192 pounds (78–87 kg))
1. a boxer or weightlifter intermediate in weight between a welterweight and a light heavyweight, esp. a professional boxer weighing up to 160 pounds (72.5 kg).adj.
2. of or pertaining to middleweights: the middleweight division.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||middleweight - an amateur boxer who weighs no more than 165 pounds|
|2.||middleweight - a wrestler who weighs 172-192 pounds|
|3.||middleweight - a professional boxer who weighs between 155 and 160 pounds|