Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of medium size, position, or quality.
2. Mediocre. See Synonyms at average.
1. Chiefly Southern US
a. often middlings Pork or bacon cut from between the ham and shoulder of a pig.
b. Salt pork. Also called middling meat.
2. middlings Any of various products, such as partially refined petroleum or ore, that are intermediate in quality, size, price, or grade.
3. middlings(used with a sing. or pl. verb) Coarsely ground wheat mixed with bran.
Fairly; moderately: "a middling nice cake" (Hatfield MA Valley Advocate).
[Probably Middle English midlin : mid, mid; see mid1 + -ling, having a quality; see -ling1.]
1. (Cookery) the poorer or coarser part of flour or other products
2. (Commerce) commodities of intermediate grade, quality, size, or price
3. (Cookery) chiefly US the part of a pig between the ham and shoulder