Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to midgut: midgut volvulus
1. The middle section of the digestive tract in a vertebrate embryo from which the ileum, jejunum, and portions of the duodenum and colon develop. Also called mesenteron.
2. The middle portion of the digestive tract of certain invertebrates, such as arthropods, lined with an enzyme-secreting tissue and serving as the main site of digestion and absorption.
1. (Zoology) the middle part of the digestive tract of vertebrates, including the small intestine
2. (Zoology) the middle part of the digestive tract of arthropods
a. the middle portion of the vertebrate alimentary canal, posterior to the stomach or gizzard and extending to the cecum; small intestine.
b. the anterior portion of the arthropod colon.
2. the middle part of the embryonic alimentary canal, from which the intestines develop.Compare foregut, hindgut.
n. intestino medio del embrión.