Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Abbr. Midn. A student training to be a commissioned naval officer, especially a student at a naval academy.
2. Any of various toadfishes of the genus Porichthys found in coastal waters of the Americas, having several rows of light-producing organs along the sides of their bodies.
n, pl -men or -mates
1. (Military) a probationary rank held by young naval officers under training, or an officer holding such a rank
2. (Animals) any of several American toadfishes of the genus Porichthys, having small light-producing organs on the undersurface of their bodies
mid•ship•man(ˈmɪdˌʃɪp mən, mɪdˈʃɪp-)
n., pl. -men.
1. a student, as at the U.S. Naval Academy, in training for commission as ensign in the Navy or second lieutenant in the Marine Corps. Compare cadet (def. 2).
a. (often cap.) a recent graduate of a British government naval school having officer rank.
b. (formerly) a candidate for officer rank in the British navy.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||midshipman - a temporary rank held by young naval officers in training|
armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nation; "their military is the largest in the region"; "the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker"