mil(redirected from MILS)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A unit of length equal to one thousandth (10-3) of an inch (0.0254 millimeter), used, for example, to specify the diameter of wire or the thickness of materials sold in sheets.
2. A milliliter; one cubic centimeter.
3. A unit of angular measurement used in artillery and equal to 1/6400 of a complete revolution.
Slang A million dollars.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Units) a unit of length equal to one thousandth of an inch
2. (Units) an obsolete pharmaceutical unit of volume equal to one millilitre
3. (Units) a unit of angular measure, used in gunnery, equal to one sixty-four-hundredth of a circumference
[C18: short for Latin millēsimus thousandth]
the internet domain name for
(Computer Science) a US military department
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a unit of length equal to 0.001 of an inch (0.0254 mm), used in measuring the diameter of wires.
2. a military unit of angular measurement equal to the angle subtended by 1/6400 of a circumference.
3. (used formerly in pharmaceutical prescriptions) a milliliter.
[1715–25; short for Latin millēsimus thousandth]
Slang. a million.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A unit of length equal to 0.001 of an inch (0.03 millimeter), used chiefly to measure the diameter of wires.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mil - a Cypriot monetary unit equal to one thousandth of a pound|
Cypriot monetary unit - monetary unit in Cyprus
|2.||mil - a Swedish unit of length equivalent to 10 km|
|3.||mil - a unit of length equal to one thousandth of an inch; used to specify thickness (e.g., of sheets or wire)|
|4.||mil - a metric unit of volume equal to one thousandth of a liter|
metric capacity unit - a capacity unit defined in metric terms
cubic millimeter, cubic millimetre - a metric measure of volume or capacity equal to a cube 1 millimeter on each edge
|5.||mil - an angular unit used in artillery; equal to 1/6400 of a complete revolution|
angular unit - a unit of measurement for angles
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
mil[ˈmɪl] n abbr (= million) → million m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005