Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. minnow or min·nows
1. Any of a large group of small freshwater fishes of the family Cyprinidae, widely used as live bait.
2. Any of various other small, often silver-colored fishes.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -nows or -now
1. (Animals) a small slender European freshwater cyprinid fish, Phoxinus phoxinus
2. (Animals) any other small cyprinid
3. (Angling) angling a spinning lure imitating a minnow
4. a small or insignificant person
[C15: related to Old English myne minnow; compare Old High German muniwa fish]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. (esp. for kinds or species) -nows, (esp. collectively, Rare) -now.
1. a small, European cyprinoid fish, Phoxinus phoxinus.
2. any fish of the family Cyprinidae, characterized by jaws without teeth and smooth overlapping scales and including the carps, goldfishes, and daces.
[1325–75; Middle English minwe, Old English *mynwe (feminine) for myne (masculine); c. Old High German munewa kind of fish]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||minnow - very small European freshwater fish common in gravelly streams|
cyprinid, cyprinid fish - soft-finned mainly freshwater fishes typically having toothless jaws and cycloid scales
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
minnow[ˈmɪnəʊ] N (minnow or minnows (pl)) → pececillo m (de agua dulce)
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
minnow[ˈmɪnəʊ] n (= small fish) → vairon m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Elritze f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007