Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Offensive Born to parents not married to each other.
2. Having an improper basis or origin; ill-conceived: misbegotten ideas about education.
3. Deserving of contempt: You misbegotten scoundrel!
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. unlawfully obtained: misbegotten gains.
2. badly conceived, planned, or designed: a misbegotten scheme.
3. literary dialect Also: misbegot illegitimate; bastard
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
mis•be•got•ten(ˌmɪs bɪˈgɒt n)
1. unlawfully or irregularly begotten; illegitimate: his misbegotten son.
2. badly conceived, made, or carried out: a misbegotten plan.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||misbegotten - born out of wedlock; "the dominions of both rulers passed away to their spurious or doubtful offspring"- E.A.Freeman|
illegitimate - of marriages and offspring; not recognized as lawful
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
adjective ill-conceived, abortive, ill-advised, hare-brained, poorly thought-out his grandiose and misbegotten plans
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007