Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to miscarry: miscarriage
v. mis·car·ried, mis·car·ry·ing, mis·car·ries
1. To have a miscarriage.
2. To go astray or be lost in transit, as mail or cargo.
3. To fail to attain an intended goal, as a plan or project.
To have a miscarriage of (an embryo or fetus).
vb (intr) , -ries, -rying or -ried
1. (Gynaecology & Obstetrics) to expel a fetus prematurely from the womb; abort
2. to fail: all her plans miscarried.
3. (Commerce) Brit (of freight, mail, etc) to fail to reach a destination
mis•car•ry(mɪsˈkær i; for 1 also ˈmɪsˌkær i)
v.i. -ried, -ry•ing.
1. to have a miscarriage of a fetus.
2. to fail to attain the right or desired end; be unsuccessful: The plan miscarried.
3. to go astray or be lost in transit, as a letter.
Past participle: miscarried
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||miscarry - be unsuccessful; "Where do today's public schools fail?"; "The attempt to rescue the hostages failed miserably"|
take it on the chin - undergo failure or defeat
miss - fail to reach or get to; "She missed her train"
overreach - fail by aiming too high or trying too hard
bobble, bodge, bollix, bollix up, bollocks, bollocks up, botch, botch up, bumble, bungle, flub, fluff, foul up, fuck up, louse up, mess up, mishandle, muck up, ball up, spoil, muff, screw up, fumble, blow - make a mess of, destroy or ruin; "I botched the dinner and we had to eat out"; "the pianist screwed up the difficult passage in the second movement"
strike out - be unsuccessful in an endeavor; "The candidate struck out with his health care plan"
fall - suffer defeat, failure, or ruin; "We must stand or fall"; "fall by the wayside"
shipwreck - suffer failure, as in some enterprise
|2.||miscarry - suffer a miscarriage|
abort - terminate a pregnancy by undergoing an abortion
carry to term - carry out a pregnancy; "She decided to carry the child to term, even though the foetus was shown to be defective"
1. have a miscarriage, lose your baby, have a spontaneous abortion Many women who miscarry eventually have healthy babies.