Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A hypothetical primate that is postulated to be the common ancestor from which both humans and nonhuman apes evolved. Not in scientific use.
2. Something lacking that is needed to complete a series.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Palaeontology) the missing link (sometimes capitals) a hypothetical extinct animal or animal group, formerly thought to be intermediate between the anthropoid apes and man
2. any missing section or part in an otherwise complete series
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a hypothetical form of animal assumed to have been a connecting link between the anthropoid apes and humans.
2. anything lacking for the completion of a sequence.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||missing link - hypothetical organism formerly thought to be intermediate between apes and human beings|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.