Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A mass of fine droplets of water in the atmosphere near or in contact with the earth.
2. Water vapor condensed on and clouding the appearance of a surface.
3. Fine drops of a liquid, such as water, perfume, or medication, sprayed into the air.
4. A suspension of fine drops of a liquid in a gas.
5. Something that dims or conceals.
6. A haze before the eyes that blurs the vision.
7. Something that produces or gives the impression of dimness or obscurity: the mists of the past.
8. A drink consisting of a liquor served over cracked ice.
v. mist·ed, mist·ing, mists
1. To be or become obscured or blurred by or as if by mist.
2. To rain in a fine shower.
1. To conceal or veil with or as if with mist.
2. To moisturize (plants or dry air, for example) with a fine spray of water.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Hairdressing & Grooming) the act or an instance of having an artificial suntan applied to the skin by a fine spray of liquid
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014