Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The liturgical headdress and part of the insignia of a Christian bishop. In the Western church it is a tall pointed hat with peaks in front and back, worn at all solemn functions.
a. A thong for binding the hair, worn by women in ancient Greece.
b. The ceremonial headdress worn by ancient Jewish high priests.
a. A miter joint.
b. The edge of a piece of material that has been beveled preparatory to making a miter joint.
c. A miter square.
v. mi·tered, mi·ter·ing, mi·ters
1. To bestow a miter upon.
a. To make (two pieces or surfaces) join with a miter joint.
b. To bevel the edges of for joining with a miter joint.
To meet in a miter joint.
[Middle English mitre, from Old French, from Medieval Latin, from Latin mitra, headdress of the Jewish high priest, from Greek.]
art at mitt(ˈmaɪ tər)
1. the official headdress of a bishop or abbot, a tall cap having an outline resembling a pointed arch in the front and back.
2. the official headdress of the ancient Jewish high priest.
3. a fillet worn by women of ancient Greece.
4. miter joint.
5. an oblique surface formed on a piece of wood or the like so as to butt against an oblique surface on another piece to be joined with it.
7. to bestow a miter upon, or raise to a rank entitled to it.
8.Also, esp. Brit., mitre.
a. to join with a miter joint.
b. to cut to a miter.
[1350–1400; Middle English mitre (n.) < Latin mitra < Greek mítra turban, headdress]
miter, mitre, crosier - The tall, pointy hat of a bishop or abbot is the miter/mitre—from Greek mitra, "headdress"; a crosier is a bishop's staff.
See also related terms for staff.
Past participle: mitered
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||miter - joint that forms a corner; usually both sides are bevelled at a 45-degree angle to form a 90-degree corner|
joint - junction by which parts or objects are joined together
|2.||miter - the surface of a beveled end of a piece where a miter joint is made; "he covered the miter with glue before making the joint"|
surface - the outer boundary of an artifact or a material layer constituting or resembling such a boundary; "there is a special cleaner for these surfaces"; "the cloth had a pattern of red dots on a white surface"
|3.||miter - a liturgical headdress worn by bishops on formal occasions|
|Verb||1.||miter - bevel the edges of, to make a miter joint|
|2.||miter - confer a miter on (a bishop)|
|3.||miter - fit together in a miter joint|
mitre(American) miter (ˈmaitə) noun
a type of headdress worn by archbishops and bishops. myter تاج أُسْقُف митра mitra mitra die Bischofsmütze mitra μίτρα mitra mitra تاج mitra mitreמצנפת पादरियों की ऊंची टोपी biskupska kapa püspöksüveg topi uskup biskupsmítur mitra 司教冠 미트라, 주교관; 주교의 직 mitra mitra topi biskop mijter bispelue, mitra mitra, infuła تاج mitra mitră митра mitra mitra mitra mitra, biskopsmössa หมวกที่พระใส่ başpiskopos külahı/şapkası 主教法冠 мітра پادری یا لاٹھ پادری کے سر پر اوڑھنے کا کپڑہ mũ tế 主教法冠