Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A type of glove that extends over the hand but only partially covers the fingers.
2. A mitten.
3. Baseball A large, padded, protective leather glove, usually with one sheath for the thumb and one undivided sheath for the remaining fingers, used by catchers and first basemen.
4. Slang A hand or fist.
[Short for mitten.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) any of various glovelike hand coverings, such as one that does not cover the fingers
2. (Clothing & Fashion) short for mitten1
3. (Baseball) baseball a large round thickly padded leather mitten worn by the catcher. See also glove2
4. (Anatomy) (often plural) a slang word for hand
5. (Boxing) slang a boxing glove
[C18: shortened from mitten]
a. a rounded, thickly padded, mittenlike glove used by catchers in baseball.
b. a similar glove used by first basemen.
2. a mitten.
3. Slang. a hand.
4. a padded or cloth mitten for a particular use: oven mitt.
5. a glove that leaves the lower ends of the fingers bare.
[1755–65; short for mitten]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mitt - the (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb; "he had the hands of a surgeon"; "he extended his mitt"|
human, human being, man - any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage
arteria digitalis, digital arteries - arteries in the hand and foot that supply the fingers and toes
intercapitular vein, vena intercapitalis - veins connecting the dorsal and palmar veins of the hand or the dorsal and plantar veins of the foot
arm - a human limb; technically the part of the superior limb between the shoulder and the elbow but commonly used to refer to the whole superior limb
right hand, right - the hand that is on the right side of the body; "he writes with his right hand but pitches with his left"; "hit him with quick rights to the body"
finger - any of the terminal members of the hand (sometimes excepting the thumb); "her fingers were long and thin"
extremity - that part of a limb that is farthest from the torso
ball - a more or less rounded anatomical body or mass; "the ball at the base of the thumb"; "he stood on the balls of his feet"
metacarpus - the part of the hand between the carpus and phalanges
|2.||mitt - the handwear used by fielders in playing baseball|
baseball equipment - equipment used in playing baseball
(= hand) → paluche f baseball mitt mitts
npl (= mittens) → moufles fpl