pennyroyal(redirected from mock pennyroyal)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A Eurasian mint (Mentha pulegium) having small lilac-blue flowers and ovate or nearly orbicular leaves that yield an essential oil formerly used medicinally and as an insect repellent.
2. An aromatic eastern North American mint (Hedeoma pulegioides) having purple-blue flowers and lanceolate to ovate leaves that yield a similar essential oil.
[Probably by folk etymology from Middle English puliol real, from Anglo-Norman : puliol, thyme (from Latin pūlegium) + real, royal (from Latin rēgālis; see regal).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) a Eurasian plant, Mentha pulegium, with hairy leaves and small mauve flowers, that yields an aromatic oil used in medicine: family Lamiaceae (labiates)
2. (Plants) Also called: mock pennyroyal a similar and related plant, Hedeoma pulegioides, of E North America
[C16: variant of Anglo-Norman puliol real, from Old French pouliol (from Latin pūleium pennyroyal) + real royal]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
pen•ny•roy•al(ˌpɛn iˈrɔɪ əl)
1. an aromatic Old World plant, Mentha pulegium, of the mint family, having clusters of small purple flowers.
2. a similar related plant, Hedeoma pulegioides, of E North America, having bluish flowers growing from the leaf axils.
[1520–30; replacing late Middle English puliol real < Anglo-French]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pennyroyal - Eurasian perennial mint have small lilac-blue flowers and ovate leaves; yields an aromatic oil|
mint - any north temperate plant of the genus Mentha with aromatic leaves and small mauve flowers
pennyroyal oil - oil from European pennyroyal having an odor like mint; used chiefly in soaps
|2.||pennyroyal - erect hairy branching American herb having purple-blue flowers; yields an essential oil used as an insect repellent and sometimes in folk medicine|
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.