Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to module: Moodle
a separable component or self-contained segment of something else: an office module; a standard unit for measuring; in computers, a program or part that performs a distinct function
Not to be confused with:
modal – pertaining to mode, manner, or form; in music, based on a scale other than major or minor
model – a standard or example for imitation; exemplary: a model prisoner; a miniature representation of something: a model train; a person or thing that serves as a subject for an artist
1. A standardized, often interchangeable component of a system or construction that is designed for easy assembly or flexible use: a sofa consisting of two end modules.
2. Architecture A length used as a unit of measurement or as a standard for determining the proportions of a building.
3. Electronics A self-contained assembly of electronic components and circuitry, such as a stage in a computer, that is installed as a unit.
4. Computers A portion of a program that carries out a specific function and may be used alone or combined with other modules of the same program.
5. A self-contained unit of a spacecraft that performs a specific task or class of tasks in support of the major function of the craft.
6. A unit of education or instruction with a relatively low student-to-teacher ratio, in which a single topic or a small section of a broad topic is studied for a given period of time.
7. Mathematics An algebraic system that resembles a vector space, except that the set of scalars forms a ring and not necessarily a field.
8. Biology A unit of modular growth, such as a coral polyp.
9. Archaic A standard or unit of measurement.
1. (Computer Science) a self-contained unit or item, such as an assembly of electronic components and associated wiring or a segment of computer software, which itself performs a defined task and can be linked with other such units to form a larger system
2. (Architecture) a standard unit of measure, esp one used to coordinate the dimensions of buildings and components; in classical architecture, half the diameter of a column at the base of the shaft
3. (Furniture) a standardized unit designed to be added to or used as part of an arrangement of similar units, as in furniture
4. (Astronautics) astronautics any of several self-contained separable units making up a spacecraft or launch vehicle, each of which has one or more specified tasks: command module; service module.
5. (Education) education a short course of study, esp of a vocational or technical subject, that together with other such completed courses can count towards a particular qualification
[C16: from Latin modulus, diminutive of modus mode]
1. a separable component, frequently one that is interchangeable with others, for assembly into units of differing size, complexity, or function.
2. any of the self-contained segments of a spacecraft.
3. a standard or unit for measuring.
4. a selected unit of measure used as a basis for the planning and standardization of building materials.
[1555–65; < Latin modulus]
A short course of study in a particular subject or in a particular area of a subject.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||module - one of the inherent cognitive or perceptual powers of the mind|
ability, power - possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done; "danger heightened his powers of discrimination"
attention - the faculty or power of mental concentration; "keeping track of all the details requires your complete attention"
language, speech - the mental faculty or power of vocal communication; "language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals"
retentiveness, retentivity, retention, memory - the power of retaining and recalling past experience; "he had a good memory when he was younger"
intellect, reason, understanding - the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination; "we are told that man is endowed with reason and capable of distinguishing good from evil"
sensory faculty, sentiency, sentience, sense, sensation - the faculty through which the external world is apprehended; "in the dark he had to depend on touch and on his senses of smell and hearing"
|2.||module - detachable compartment of a spacecraft|
command module - a space module in which astronauts can live and control the spacecraft and communicate with earth
compartment - a partitioned section, chamber, or separate room within a larger enclosed area
|3.||module - computer circuit consisting of an assembly of electronic components (as of computer hardware)|
computer, computing device, computing machine, data processor, electronic computer, information processing system - a machine for performing calculations automatically
computer circuit - a circuit that is part of a computer
|4.||module - a self-contained component (unit or item) that is used in combination with other components|
cartridge - a module designed to be inserted into a larger piece of equipment; "he loaded a cartridge of fresh tape into the tape deck"
constituent, element, component - an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system; "spare components for cars"; "a component or constituent element of a system"
power module - module that provides power to operate other modules
system - instrumentality that combines interrelated interacting artifacts designed to work as a coherent entity; "he bought a new stereo system"; "the system consists of a motor and a small computer"
وِحْدَةٌوِحْدَه، مَرْكَبَه قَمَرِيَّه
đơn vị học trình
module[ˈmɒdjuːl] n → modulo
a self-contained unit forming eg part of a building, spacecraft etc. a lunar module. module وِحْدَه، مَرْكَبَه قَمَرِيَّه модул módulo modul die Kapsel modul; -modul θαλαμίσκοςmódulo moodul نمونه پیش ساخته moduuli moduleיחידה इकाई modul egység, modul unit tersendiri, modul eining modulo 単位構成物 모듈 modulis autonoms nodalījums modul modulusenhet, modulmoduł مخكى جوړه شوى نمونه módulo modul модуль modul modul modul modul, [maskin]enhet หน่วยมาตรฐานที่นำมาประกอบเป็นสิ่งสำเร็จรูปได้ bölüm, modül (建築物的)模組，(太空船的)船艙 модуль کسی عمارت یا خلائی جہاز کا علیحدہ حصہ bộ phận tháo rời 模块，（宇宙飞船上各个独立的）舱