Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to mogul: Mogul empire
1. A small hard mound of snow on a ski slope, cast up over numerous runs by the skis of skiers as they turn.
2. One of a set of closely spaced, artificially constructed mounds forming the course for certain competitive skiing events.
3. moguls(used with a sing. or pl. verb) A skiing event held on such a course.
[Alteration (probably influenced by mogul) of mid-20th century American skiers' jargon mugel, from Bavarian dialectal (Austria) Mugl, hillock; perhaps akin to Old English mūga, mow, haystack; see mow1.]
mo·gul 2(mō′gəl, mō-gŭl′)
1. A very rich or powerful person; a magnate.
2. Mogul Variant of Mughal.
[Urdu muġal, muġul, Mughal; see Mughal.]
1. (Historical Terms) a member of the Muslim dynasty of Indian emperors established by Baber in 1526. See Great Mogul
2. (Islam) a Muslim Indian, Mongol, or Mongolian
3. (Peoples) a Muslim Indian, Mongol, or Mongolian
(Historical Terms) of or relating to the Moguls or their empire
[C16: from Persian mughul Mongol]
1. an important or powerful person
2. (Railways) a type of steam locomotive with a wheel arrangement of two leading wheels, six driving wheels, and no trailing wheels
[C18: from Mogul]
(Skiing) a mound of hard snow on a ski slope
[C20: perhaps from South German dialect Mugl]
a bump or mound of hard snow on a ski slope.
[1960–65; < dial. German; compare Austrian Mugel small hill]
Mo•gul(ˈmoʊ gəl, -gʌl, moʊˈgʌl)
1. a member of the dynasty of Muslim rulers that dominated N India and parts of the Deccan from the 16th to the early 18th centuries.
2. (l.c.) a powerful or influential person: a mogul of the movie industry.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the Moguls or their empire.
[1580–90; < Persian mughul Mongol]
mogul- A small mound of snow on a ski course, from Old Norse mugl, "little heap."
See also related terms for heap.
Snow mound usually formed by many skiers turning in the same place.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mogul - a bump on a ski slope |
excrescence, extrusion, gibbosity, gibbousness, hump, jut, bulge, protrusion, protuberance, swelling, bump, prominence - something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings; "the gun in his pocket made an obvious bulge"; "the hump of a camel"; "he stood on the rocky prominence"; "the occipital protuberance was well developed"; "the bony excrescence between its horns"
|2.||Mogul - a member of the Muslim dynasty that ruled India until 1857|
|3.||mogul - a very wealthy or powerful businessman; "an oil baron"|
businessman, man of affairs - a person engaged in commercial or industrial business (especially an owner or executive)
oil tycoon - a powerful person in the oil business
noun tycoon, lord, baron, notable, magnate, big gun (informal), big shot (informal), personage, nob (slang, chiefly Brit.), potentate, big wheel (slang), big cheese (slang, old-fashioned), big noise (informal), big hitter (informal), heavy hitter (informal), nabob (informal), bashaw, V.I.P. an international media mogul
قُطْب من أقْطاب المال
a very rich person who has great power or influence in a particular industry or activity. a movie mogul; a media mogul. magnaat قُطْب من أقْطاب المال богаташ barão magnát der Mogul mogul; -mogul μεγιστάναςmagnate mogul با نفوذ moguli magnat עָשִׁיר כְּקוֹרַח बेताज बादशाह, मुगल veliki vladar mogul orang kaya raya magnate 大立者 중요인물, 거물, 권력자 magnatas magnāts kaya dan berpengaruh mogol kakse, magnat magnat متنفذ магнат magnát mogotec moćnik mogul, magnat ผู้มีอำนาจ patron, ...kralı 大亨, 有權勢的人 магнат اہم ، ذی اثر آدمی người có thế lực 显要人物，有权势的人