moiety(redirected from moieties)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to moieties: phratries
n. pl. moi·e·ties
1. A half.
2. A part, portion, or share.
3. Anthropology Either of two kinship groups based on unilateral descent that together make up a tribe or society.
4. Chemistry A well-defined part of a larger molecule.
n, pl -ties
1. a half
2. one of two parts or divisions of something
[C15: from Old French moitié, from Latin mediētās middle, from medius]
moi•e•ty(ˈmɔɪ ɪ ti)
n., pl. -ties.
1. a half.
2. an indefinite portion, part, or share.
3. (in certain unilateral societies or communities) one of the two descent groups into which the population falls.
[1400–50; late Middle English moite < Middle French < Latin medietātem, acc. of medietās the middle]
Moietya half; the better half; a small part; a lease; a share, portion, or quantity.
Examples: the moiety of the human species; of a scruple, 1641.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||moiety - one of two (approximately) equal parts|
|2.||moiety - one of two basic subdivisions of a tribe|
social group - people sharing some social relation