Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
moire(mwär, mwä-rā′, môr, mô-rā′)
A watered or moiré fabric.
[French; see moiré.]
Having a wavy or rippled surface pattern. Used of fabric.
1. Fabric, such as silk or rayon, finished so as to have a wavy or rippled surface pattern.
2. A similar pattern produced on cloth by engraved rollers.
[French, from past participle of moirer, to water, from mouaire, moire, moiré fabric, probably alteration of English mohair.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Textiles) a fabric, usually silk, having a watered effect
[C17: from French, earlier mouaire, from mohair]
(Textiles) having a watered or wavelike pattern
1. (Textiles) such a pattern, impressed on fabrics by means of engraved rollers
2. (Textiles) any fabric having such a pattern; moire
3. (General Physics) Also: moiré pattern a pattern seen when two geometrical patterns, such as grids, are visually superimposed
[C17: from French, from moire mohair]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
moi•ré(mwɑˈreɪ, mɔ-, moʊ-)
adj., n., pl. -rés. adj.
1. (of silks and other fabrics) presenting a watery or wavelike appearance.n.
2. a design pressed on silk, rayon, etc., by engraved rollers.
3. any silk, rayon, etc., fabric with a watery or wavelike appearance.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
moire- Having a variegated or clouded appearance, like that of watered silk.
See also related terms for variegated.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||moire - silk fabric with a wavy surface pattern|
|Adj.||1.||moire - (of silk fabric) having a wavelike pattern|
patterned - having patterns (especially colorful patterns)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
moiré[ˈmwɑːreɪ] N → muaré m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
moiré[ˈmwɑːreɪ] adj → moiré inv, marezzato/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995