Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Mon or Mons
1. A member of a traditionally Buddhist people inhabiting eastern Myanmar (Burma) and adjacent parts of Thailand.
2. The Mon-Khmer language of the Mon.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl Mon or MonsAlso called: Talaing
1. (Peoples) a member of a people of Myanmar and Thailand related to the Khmer of Cambodia
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Mon-Khmer family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. Mons, (esp. collectively) Mon.
1. a member of a people now living mainly in the N part of the Burmese panhandle, though historically occupying a broader area of the lower Irrawaddy and Salween rivers in lower Burma.
2. their Mon-Khmer language.
var. of mono- before a vowel: monestrous.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Mon - the second day of the week; the first working day|
weekday - any day except Sunday (and sometimes except Saturday)
|2.||Mon - a member of a Buddhist people living in Myanmar and adjacent parts of Thailand|
Buddhist - one who follows the teachings of Buddha
|3.||Mon - the Mon-Khmer language spoken by the Mon|
Mon-Khmer - a branch of the Austro-Asiatic languages
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Monabbr of Monday → Mo
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007