Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Any of various carnivorous lizards of the genus Varanus of tropical Africa, Asia, and Australasia, having a forked tongue and a long neck, and ranging in size from very small to very large.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
mon•i•tor(ˈmɒn ɪ tər)
1. a student appointed to assist in the conduct of a class or school, as to help keep order.
2. a person who admonishes, esp. with reference to conduct.
3. something that serves to remind or give warning.
4. a device or arrangement for observing, detecting, or recording the operation of a machine or system, esp. an automatic control system.
5. an instrument for detecting dangerous gases, radiation, etc.
6. Radio and Television. a receiving apparatus used in a control room or studio for monitoring transmissions.
7. a component with a display screen for viewing computer data, television programs, etc.
a. a former U.S. steam-propelled, armored warship of very low freeboard.
b. (cap., italics) the first of such warships, used by Union forces against the Merrimack in 1862.
9. a raised construction straddling the ridge of a roof and having windows or louvers for lighting or ventilating a building.
10. any lizard of the family Varanidae, of Africa, S Asia, the East Indies, and Australia, fabled to give warning of the presence of crocodiles.v.t.
11. Radio and Television. to listen to (transmitted signals) on a receiving set in order to check the quality of the transmission.
12. to observe, record, or detect (an operation or condition) with instruments that have no effect upon the operation or condition.
13. to oversee, supervise, or regulate.
14. to watch closely for purposes of control, surveillance, etc.; keep track of.v.i.
15. to serve as a monitor, detector, supervisor, etc.
[1540–50; < Latin: adviser =moni-, variant s. of monēre to advise, warn + -tor -tor]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||monitor lizard - any of various large tropical carnivorous lizards of Africa and Asia and Australia; fabled to warn of crocodiles|
lizard - relatively long-bodied reptile with usually two pairs of legs and a tapering tail
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.