Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
mono-(word root) one, single
Examples of words with the root mono-: monocable
1. One; single; alone: monomorphic.
2. Containing a single atom, radical, or group: monobasic.
3. Monomolecular; monatomic: monolayer.
mono-or before a vowel
1. one; single: monochrome; monorail.
2. (Chemistry) indicating that a chemical compound contains a single specified atom or group: monoxide.
[from Greek monos]
a combining form meaning “one, single, lone” (monochromatic; monogamy), “containing one atom or group of a given kind” (monoamine).Also, esp. before a vowel,mon-.
[< Greek, comb. form of mónos alone]
A prefix that means "one, only, single," as in monochromatic, having only one color. It is often found in chemical names where it means "containing just one" of the specified atom or group, as in carbon monoxide, which is carbon attached to a single oxygen atom.