monochromatic(redirected from monochroic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Having or appearing to have only one color.
2. Of or composed of radiation of only one wavelength: monochromatic light.
3. Done in monochrome: monochromatic paintings.
4. Exhibiting monochromatism.
5. Unvarying or dull: "the more prosaic and monochromatic aspects of communist life" (Amy Tan).
mon′o·chro′ma·tic′i·ty (-mə-tĭs′ĭ-tē) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) Also: homochromatic (of light or other electromagnetic radiation) having only one wavelength
2. (General Physics) physics (of moving particles) having only one kinetic energy
3. (Pathology) of or relating to monochromatism
(Pathology) a person who is totally colour-blind
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
mon•o•chro•mat•ic(ˌmɒn ə kroʊˈmæt ɪk, -oʊ krə-)
1. of or having one color.
2. of, pertaining to, or having tones of one color in addition to the ground hue: monochromatic pottery.
3. pertaining to light of one color or to radiation of a single wavelength or narrow range of wavelengths.
4. of or pertaining to monochromatism.
mon`o•chro`ma•tic′i•ty (-məˈtɪs ɪ ti) n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Having or appearing to have only one color: monochromatic light.
2. Consisting of a single wavelength of light or other radiation: monochromatic x-rays.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||monochromatic - of or relating to monochromatism|
|2.||monochromatic - (of light or other electromagnetic radiation) having only one wavelength; "monochromatic light"|
polychromatic - (of light or other electromagnetic radiation) composed of more than one wavelength; "polychromatic light"
|3.||monochromatic - having or appearing to have only one color|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.