Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Having a single cycle, as of activity or development.
2. Biology Having a single whorl, as certain flowers and the shells of certain invertebrates.
3. Chemistry Having a molecular structure with only one ring.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Chemistry) Also: mononuclear (of a chemical compound) containing only one ring of atoms
2. (Botany) (of sepals, petals, or stamens) arranged in a single whorl
3. (Botany) (of a plant) having a life cycle that is completed in one year
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
mon•o•cy•clic(ˌmɒn əˈsaɪ klɪk, -ˈsɪk lɪk)
1. having one cycle.
2. describing one ring of atoms in a molecule.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.