Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to monoecious: gynoecious
mo·noe·ciousalso mo·ne·cious (mə-nē′shəs)
1. Botany Having unisexual reproductive organs or flowers, with the organs or flowers of both sexes borne on a single plant, as in pines and corn (maize).
2. Biology Relating to or exhibiting hermaphroditism; hermaphroditic.
mo·noe′cism (mə-nē′sĭz′əm) n.
mo·noe′cy (-sē) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Botany) (of some flowering plants) having the male and female reproductive organs in separate flowers on the same plant
2. (Biology) (of some animals and lower plants) hermaphrodite
[C18: from New Latin monoecia, from mono- + Greek oikos house]
moˈnoeciously, moˈneciously adv
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or mo•ne•cious(məˈni ʃəs)
1. having the stamens and the pistils in separate flowers on the same plant.
2. having both male and female organs in the same individual; hermaphroditic.
[1755–65; < New Latin (Linnaeus) Monoeci(a) name of the group of monoecious plants (Greek mon- mon- + oîk(os) house + New Latin -ia -ia) + -ous]
mo•noe′cism (-sɪz əm) mo•noe′cy, n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Having separate male flowers and female flowers on the same plant. Maize and oaks are monoecious plants. Compare dioecious.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A term that indicates that male and female flowers are produced separately, but on the same plant.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||monoecious - having male and female reproductive organs in the same plant or animal|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.