Also found in: Wikipedia.
Related to monoglot: Ciceronian
A person who knows only one language.
Knowing only one language; monolingual.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. having command of a single language
2. written in, composed of, or containing a single language
a person with command of a single language
[C20: from mono- + Greek glōtta tongue]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. knowing only one language; monolingual.
2. composed in only one language.n.
3. a person with a knowledge of only one language.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
a person capable of speaking only one language.See also: Language
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.