Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Mathematics An algebraic expression consisting of only one term.
2. Biology A taxonomic name consisting of a single word.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Mathematics) maths an expression consisting of a single term, such as 5ax
1. (Mathematics) consisting of a single algebraic term
2. (Biology) biology of, relating to, or denoting a taxonomic name that consists of a single term
[C18: mono- + (bin)omial]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
mo•no•mi•al(moʊˈnoʊ mi əl, mə-)
1. an algebraic expression or quantity that consists of a single term.
2. a taxonomic name that consists of a single term.adj.
3. of or pertaining to a single term, expression, or quantity.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An algebraic expression consisting of a single term, such as 4x.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.