Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A succession of sounds or words uttered in a single tone of voice.
a. A single tone repeated with different words or time values, especially in a rendering of a liturgical text.
b. A chant in a single tone.
3. Sameness or dull repetition in sound, style, manner, or color.
1. Characterized by or uttered in a monotone: a monotone recitation of names.
2. Of or having a single color: a cat with a monotone coat.
3. also mon·o·ton·ic (mŏn′ə-tŏn′ĭk) Mathematics Designating sequences, the successive members of which either consistently increase or decrease but do not oscillate in relative value. Each member of a monotone increasing sequence is greater than or equal to the preceding member; each member of a monotone decreasing sequence is less than or equal to the preceding member.
[From Greek monotonos, monotonous; see monotonous.]
mon′o·ton′ic (-tŏn′ĭk) adj.
1. a single unvaried pitch level in speech, sound, etc
2. (Linguistics) utterance, etc, without change of pitch
3. lack of variety in style, expression. etc
4. unvarying or monotonous
5. (Mathematics) maths Also: monotonic (of a sequence or function) consistently increasing or decreasing in value
1. a vocal utterance or series of speech sounds in one unvaried tone.
2. a single musical tone without variation in pitch.
3. recitation or singing of words in such a tone.
4. a person who is unable to discriminate between or to reproduce differences in musical pitch, esp. in singing.
5. any unrelieved sameness or boring repetition.adj.
7. consisting of or characterized by a uniform tone of one color: a monotone drape.
[1635–45; < French monotone < Late Greek monótonos monotonous]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||monotone - an unchanging intonation|
|2.||monotone - a single tone repeated with different words or different rhythms (especially in rendering liturgical texts)|
|Adj.||1.||monotone - of a sequence or function; consistently increasing and never decreasing or consistently decreasing and never increasing in value|
|2.||monotone - sounded or spoken in a tone unvarying in pitch; "the owl's faint monotonous hooting"|
unmodulated - characterized by lack of variation in pitch, tone, or volume; "he lectured in an unmodulated voice edged with hysteria"