Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A trademark for a typesetting machine operated from a keyboard that activates a unit that casts and sets individual characters.
1. Biology The sole member of its group, such as a single species that constitutes a genus.
2. A unique print made by pressing paper against a painted or inked surface.
mon′o·typ′ic (-tĭp′ĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a single print made from a metal or glass plate on which a picture has been painted
2. (Biology) biology a monotypic genus or species
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) trademark any of various typesetting systems, esp originally one in which each character was cast individually from hot metal
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) type produced by such a system
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the only print made from a metal or glass plate on which a picture is painted in oil color, printing ink, or the like.
2. the method of producing such a print.
3. the only representative of its group, as a single species constituting a genus.
mon`o•typ′ic (-ˈtɪp ɪk) adj.
a machine that casts and sets metal type.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Printmaking from an image printed (usually in oils) on a sheet of glass or metal. Only one sheet can be printed, though the color can then be reinforced and a few successive differing images made.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||monotype - (biology) a taxonomic group with a single member (a single species or genus)|
|2.||monotype - a typesetting machine operated from a keyboard that sets separate characters|
typesetting machine - a printer that sets textual material in type
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. N → monotipia ® f
B. CPD Monotype machine N → (máquina f) monotipo ® m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Monotype-Verfahren® nt; monotype machine → Monotype® f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Monotype® [ˈmɒnəˌtaɪp] n → monotype ® f inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995