Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. moonfish or moon·fish·es
1. Any of several carangid fishes chiefly of the genus Selene, found in warm coastal waters of North and South America and having a short silvery compressed body.
2. See opah.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -fishes or -fish
1. (Animals) any of several deep-bodied silvery carangid fishes, occurring in warm and tropical American coastal waters
2. (Animals) any of various other round silvery fishes, such as the Indo-Pacific Monodactylus argenteus
3. (Animals) another name for opah
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. (esp. collectively) -fish, (esp. for kinds or species) -fish•es.
1. any of several deep-bodied, compressed carangid fishes of the genus Selene.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||moonfish - any of several silvery marine fishes with very flat bodies|
|2.||moonfish - large elliptical brightly colored deep-sea fish of Atlantic and Pacific and Mediterranean|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.