mortarboard(redirected from morterboard)
1. A square board with a handle used for holding and carrying masonry mortar.
2. An academic cap topped by a flat square.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a black tasselled academic cap with a flat square top covered with cloth
2. (Building) Also called: hawk a small square board with a handle on the underside for carrying mortar
mor•tar•board(ˈmɔr tərˌbɔrd, -ˌboʊrd)
1. a board, usu. square, used by masons to hold mortar.
2. a close-fitting cap with a square, flat top and a tassel, worn at formal academic ceremonies.
|Noun||1.||mortarboard - a square board with a handle underneath; used by masons to hold or carry mortar|
board - a flat piece of material designed for a special purpose; "he nailed boards across the windows"
|2.||mortarboard - an academic cap with a flat square with a tassel on top|
academic costume - a costume worn on formal occasions by the faculty or students of a university or college
cap - a tight-fitting headdress