moss(redirected from moss-like)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Any of various green, usually small, nonvascular plants of the division Bryophyta, having leaflike structures arranged around the stem and spores borne in a capsule.
b. A patch or covering of such plants.
2. Any of various other unrelated plants having a similar appearance or manner of growth, such as Irish moss, Spanish moss, and the club mosses.
tr.v. mossed, moss·ing, moss·es
To cover with moss.
[Middle English, from Old English mos, bog, and from Medieval Latin mossa, moss (of Germanic origin).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) Also called: mossplant any bryophyte of the phylum Bryophyta, typically growing in dense mats on trees, rocks, moist ground, etc. See also peat moss
2. (Plants) a clump or growth of any of these plants
3. (Plants) any of various similar but unrelated plants, such as club moss, Spanish moss, Ceylon moss, rose moss, and reindeer moss
4. (Physical Geography) Scot and Northern English a peat bog or marsh
[Old English mos swamp; compare Middle Dutch, Old High German mos bog, Old Norse mosi; compare also Old Norse mӯrr mire]
1. (Biography) Kate. born 1974, British supermodel.
2. (Biography) Sir Stirling. born 1929, English racing driver
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any tiny, leafy-stemmed, filamentous bryophyte of the class Musci, growing in tufts, sods, or mats on moist ground, tree trunks, rocks, etc.
2. a growth of such plants.
3. any of various similar plants, as Iceland moss or club moss.v.t.
4. to cover with a growth of moss.
[before 1000; Middle English mos(se), Old English mos moss, bog; akin to German Moos, Old Norse mȳrr mire]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Any of numerous small, green plants that lack vascular tissue and do not bear seeds. Mosses usually live in moist, shady areas and grow in clusters or mats on the ground, rocks, and tree trunks.
2. Any of a number of plants that look like mosses but are not related to them. For instance, reindeer moss is a lichen, Irish moss is an alga, and Spanish moss is a flowering plant.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||moss - tiny leafy-stemmed flowerless plants|
acrocarp, acrocarpous moss - a moss in which the main axis is terminated by the archegonium (and hence the capsule)
pleurocarp, pleurocarpous moss - a moss having the archegonium or antheridium on a short side branch rather than the main stalk
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
moss[ˈmɒs] n → mousse f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Moos nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
moss[mɒs] n (Bot) → muschio
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
(any variety of) a type of small flowerless plant, found in damp places, forming a soft green covering on tree trunks etc. The bank of the river was covered in moss. mos طُحْلُب мъх musgo mech das Moos mos βρύοmusgo sammal خزه sammal mousseטחב काई mahovina moha lumut mosi muschio こけ 이끼, 선류(蘚類)의 총칭 samanos sūna lumut mosmosemech حشره musgo muşchi мох mach mah mahovina mossa พืชตะไคร่น้ำ yosun 苔蘚 мох کائی rêu 苔藓ˈmossy adjective
mosagtig مُطَحْلَب мъхест musguento mechový moosig mosset καλυμμένος με βρύα musgoso, cubierto de musgo samblane خزه مانند sammaleinen moussu מְכוּסֶה טְחָב काई से ढका obrastao mahovinom mohos berlumut mosagróinn muschioso, coperto di muschio こけむした 이끼가 낀 samaninis, samanotas sūnains; apsūnojis berlumut bemost, mosachtigmosegrodd omszały حشره غوندى musguento acoperit cu muşchi мшистый machový mahovnat mahovinast mossig ซึ่งปกคลุมด้วยต้นมอส yosunlu 長滿苔蘚的 вкритий мохом کائی زدہ có rêu 长满苔藓的
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
moss→ طُحْلُبٌ mech mos Moos βρύο musgo sammal mousse mahovina muschio コケ 이끼 mos mose mech musgo мох mossa พืชตะไคร่น้ำ yosun rêu 青苔
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009