Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
1. Informal An extremely conservative or old-fashioned person.
a. An old sluggish fish.
b. An old turtle with a growth of algae on its back.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Zoology) an old turtle, shellfish, etc, that has a growth of algae on its back
2. informal a provincial or conservative person
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Informal. a person holding very antiquated notions; reactionary.
2. an old turtle.
3. a large and old fish, as a bass.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mossback - an extremely old-fashioned conservative|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. A person who vehemently, often fanatically opposes progress and favors return to a previous condition:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.